Monday, October 17, 2011

Frozen Corn Pudding Ice Cream

     I wanted to make Maja Maiz or Corn Pudding but father dearest placed it in the freezer and oh dear Lord was it so much better frozen. It was thick and a bit gooey, it was even better than ice cream.  Seriously.


     I'm the kind of person who doesn't usually wait for the dessert to cool down before I devour it. So my short cut to cool them down fast is to place it over a bed of ice with salt. I have a stack of ice tubes in the freezer and what I do is crush them roughly, sprinkle with a lot of salt and put in a 12"x13" baking pan as I place the hot pan on top. The salt will lower the freezing temperature of the water, so despite the heat coming from the pan, it will not melt easily. 

     This is the chemistry I learned from eating dirty ice cream as a child. Here in the Philippines, ice cream is sold in the street by sorbeteros, dubbed as "dirty" because of the manner in which they are sold - in the streets by maybe-not-so-hygienic men. And so to keep the ice cream frozen despite the blazing tropical heat, they put salt on it. It's called pot-freezer method and used to make homemade ice cream.

     You can mix it until it's frozen, but I just do it until it's cool enough to pop in the fridge. I think this method helps with making it extra creamy.

Ingredients:

  1 can condensed milk (300 ml)
  2 cups fresh milk
  1 cup water
  3/4 cup cornstarch
  1 can cream-style corn (425 g)

Cooking instructions:
1. Dissolve cornstarch in water. Add in milk, condensed milk, salt and corn.
2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat while stirring constantly using a wooden spoon.
3. Bring the heat to low and stir continuously until thick. Remove from heat.
4. Place pan on a bed of ice with salt and stir continuously until cool.
5. Transfer to container and freeze.
6. Allow it to soften before serving. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...