Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Inday-Inday - memories from my childhood

     Today I made inday-inday and I can't help but feel so giddy about the success of this snack. It tasted EXACTLY as I remembered it, and it had been years since I ate last. Inday-inday or palitaw, is a native Filipino snack made of flat, sticky rice dumplings topped with sugar and sesame seeds and/or grated coconut. My mama would made these when we were young, and I remembered how my sister and I would enjoy shaping balls out of the white dough.


     In school, vendors would wrap them in banana leaves and we would eat them using popsicle sticks. I would always tell the vendor to add more of that sweet sugary topping. Yummmm! Oh how I miss high school.

toasty and nutty topping, tastes like peanut butter


Ingredients:
  2 cups glutinous rice flour
  1 cup water
  2 tbsp sesame seeds
  1/2 cup brown sugar

Cooking instructions:
1. Combine 2 cups of glutinous rice flour and 1 cup of water until you form a dough.
2. Roll into 1-inch balls and press the center to flatten.
3. Drop the dough into a pot of boiling water and remove as soon as it floats.
4. Drain.
5. For the topping, toast the sesame seeds.
6. Grind in a food processor the toasted sesame seeds and the brown sugar until smooth. Adjust the amount according to your taste.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...