Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pineapple bars

     My brother loved the pineapple tarts my mom used to make, and since he's coming home this weekend I'm making him these pineapple bars to surprise him. I've always wanted to try a basket weave design on a pie and I tried my skills on these. I didn't know they were so time consuming! It took me about 15 minutes to just make lattice work but it was definitely worth it after seeing the finished results.

     All in all it might take about 2 hours to make these bars, 40 minutes for the jam, 10 minutes to make the dough, 15 minutes to put them together and 40 minutes baking time. Whew! But my brother loved them so it didn't matter.


Pineapple Jam
  2 cups fresh pineapple puree
  1 cup brown sugar

Pie Crust
  3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  1 1/2 cup butter
  2 whole eggs
  3 tbsp sugar
  1 tsp salt

Cooking instructions:
  1. Make the jam. Combine pineapple puree and sugar in a saucepan and cook over medium-low heat while stirring occasionally until thick. Let it cool.
  2. Make the crust. Combine flour, sugar and salt.
  3. Cut butter into cubes and drop into flour mixture. Mix until well incorporated.
  4. Add the eggs but save a little bit for egg washing. Mix evenly and make a dough.
  5. Divide the dough in half. Flatten using a rolling pin.
  6. Line the pan with the dough base. Spread the cooled pineapple jam on top.
  7. Cut remaining dough into strips and make a basket weave on top.
  8. Beat the saved egg and brush on the basket weave.
  9. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35-40 mins our until golden brown.
  10. Cut into bars and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...